Chicago is one of the top metro areas in the country. Conde Nest Traveler magazine readers voted Chicago as the best U.S. city destination for 2022. Here are some reasons why you should move to Chicago and start or relocate your business to this city.
Facts About Chicago
According to the U.S. Census, Chicago has more than 2.5 million residents. It lies on Lake Michigan in Illinois and features cold, snowy winters and warm, humid summers. It has an extensive public transportation system and a network of pedestrian tunnels and bridges.
Reasonable Cost of Living
Chicago also has a reasonable cost of living compared to other places. This benefits your family’s living expenses and your business costs, with affordable labor and more “runway” with your venture.
Finding an affordable rental apartment or a home for sale is also relatively easy in Chicago if you’d rather not buy right away. Look at neighborhoods that match your lifestyle choices and amenities preferences. When searching online for your family’s perfect place, filter for price range, number of bathrooms and bedrooms.
Strong Business Community
Having a supportive community, such as business leaders, mentors, local government officials and customers, can benefit your business. In Chicago, there are plenty of resources to help support the local business community and make it a great place to start a new company. Here are some organizations that may help small business owners:
- City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection
- Evanston Chamber of Commerce
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity
- Rogers Park Business Alliance
Excellent Quality of Life
The quality of life can also make Chicago a better place for you and your family and your thriving business. Workers in the area enjoy this city’s vibrant diversity, special events, education, cuisine, and recreational activities. After work, you and your team can enjoy exploring some of these iconic Chicago parks and events:
- Lincoln Park
- North Avenue Beach
- Chicago’s Lakefront Trail
- Washington Park
- Taste of Chicago
- St. Patrick’s Day Festival
Chicago Professional Sports
Sports fans have a lot to root for in Chicago. This city features several talented professional sports teams. Baseball fans can cheer for the Cubs or the White Sox. Football fans have the Bears. Basketball fans can see the Bulls play, and hockey lovers can root for the Blackhawks.
Numerous Educational Opportunities
Several prestigious universities are also located in Chicago. The availability of university education in Chicago helps strengthen the talent pool for employees for your small business. Universities in Chicago include:
- The University of Chicago
- DePaul University
- Chicago State University
- Loyola University Chicago
- Illinois Institute of Technology
Starting a Business in Chicago
If you’re ready to relocate and open a new business in Chicago, you want to start off strong. Here’s what you need to do to open your business venture in Chicago:
- Craft a strong business plan detailing your concept and its logistics.
- Choose a business structure for your company. A great option is an LLC. This gives you tax benefits, limited liability, easier paperwork and more freedom. Research Illinois requirements for opening an LLC.
- Contact an attorney to help you setup your business create contracts and protect your business as it grows with timely business filings in the county and with the Illinois Department of Revenue.
- Check the requirements for licensing in your industry. Contact the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation to get more information.
Chicago would make a great home for you, your family and your company. Find a home that makes you feel welcome in this center of urban living and culture, and see why so many people enjoy visiting this special place.
Image via Pexels